(makes 1 large pie 9.5” pie)
14 oz (1 ¾ cups) sugar
2 oz unsalted kerrygold butter
4 eggs (beaten)
2 oz (1/2 cup) self rising flour
2 cups evaporated milk
1 tsp vanilla
7 oz bakers coconut
How to make it
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F and grease pie plate.
- Begin by creaming the butter and sugar in an electric mixer.
- Add the eggs to the mixture one at a time betting after each addition.
- Mix in the remaining ingredients.
- Pour the resulting batter in to prepared pie plate.
- Bake for 1 hour until top of the pie is golden brown.
This summer the UPS delivered a package to my doorstep just weeks before my first culinary tour to Ireland from one of my Southern tour guests. I opened up the package to find a pie plate, a tin of evaporated milk, a packet of coconut and a hand written recipe card. This treasured recipe was from two sisters Mary Alice from Madison GA and Ginny Huff from Florida who wanted to share their food heritage with me. The pie is fabulous with fresh berries and fresh whipped cream but for the holidays I am thinking warm brandy peaches.
Sharing the love!
Judith the Irish foodie