It is the season to be jolly… and be stressed out trying to figure out what festive appetizers to bring to your next Christmas party! Take out the stress with this simple easy to prepare appetizer, and best of all, these bites are gluten-free for those with allergies – and, I like to prepare half of my platter with almonds for vegetarians and then the other half for carnivores (prosciutto)….it’s good to please, right?
I brought them to a Christmas gathering over the weekend and they were a huge hit. The Kerrygold semi-soft Cashel blue is buttery and not overpowering but pairs excellently with the sweetness of the date and the rosemary infused balsamic drizzle…yum indeed.
Here are the simple ingredients:
- 20 pitted dates
- 4 oz Kerrygold Cashel blue Irish cheese
- ¼ Lb of thinly sliced prosciutto (cut in to thirds) OR
- .. ¼ cup flaked almonds (for vegetarian option)
- (for the drizzle)
- ½ cup aged balsamic
- 3 Tbsp honey
- Sprig of rosemary
- Salt and pepper (to taste)
How to make it:
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- To make the balsamic drizzle combine the honey, rosemary sprig and the balsamic and reduce by about two-thirds. Remove the rosemary and discard.
- Cut the date in half and stuff with the Cashel Blue Irish cheese. Wrap the cut prosciutto around each date and secure with a tooth pick if necessary.
- Place prosciutto wrapped filled dates on a baking sheet and bake for 8-10 minutes until the prosciutto is crispy and the cheese has melted.
- Arrange on a platter and drizzle with the balsamic reduction.
- Serve immediately.
As always, enjoy the season (I know your guests will be jolly if you bring these to the party- ooh yeah!)
till next time!
Judie the Irish foodie