Spring has sprung, the Dogwoods are blooming and there is a sense of expectancy in the air, and just this week my wee Mom flew in from Ireland to spend a few weeks with me as I continue on the path to recovery…
And those of you who know me will not be surprised when I tell you that we have been cooking up a storm in the kitchen with all my childhood favorites from Ireland, like braised steak and onions, chicken soup for the soul, roasted lamb and potatoes and my childhood favorite- retro tray bakes, with all kind of ingredients.
so, here’s one we made this week – Chocolate malt candy squares are one of my favorites because I just love the honey comb candy crunch with the chocolate loaded biscuit base. Oh, and in the US malt candy treats are called Whoopers and in the UK and Ireland the brand name is Maltesers.
Chocolate Malt Candy Squares
- 4 oz butter
- 6 oz semi-sweet chocolate
- 3 Tbsp golden corn syrup
- 8 oz (1 cup) graham crackers or British Digestive Biscuits (crushed)
- 8 oz (1 cup) Malted chocolate candy
- 14 oz White Chocolate (melted)
- 2 Tbsp Malt Whoppers (crushed)
How to make it:
- Lightly grease an 8×8 cookie pan. Slowly melt butter, chocolate and golden corn syrup over double boiler.
- Pulse Malt Candy for a few seconds in food processor Reserve 2 Tbsp of crushed malt candy for the topping and then add to the melted chocolate mixture.
- Crush cookies in to fine crumbs and combine with mixture. Transfer biscuit mixture to prepared pan and smooth flat with a knife. Cool in refrigerator for 30 minutes to 1 hour.
- Melt white chocolate over double boiler and spread over biscuit base. Sprinkle chocolate malt candy over the top.
- Allow chocolate to harden before cutting in to squares. It is always easier to cut chocolate at room temperature to avoid cracking.
Enjoy and savor each day with a sweet treat!
Judith the Irish foodie