So, would you believe it?…yes, the Irish girl is always asked to bring the Potato Salad to the party right? So, how does the Irish girl make her potato salad you may ask? Well, it’s hard to go wrong with a great tasting potato and yes its’ how I was raised and I am proud of it.
These days living in Georgia I like to use small young fingerling potatoes for my potato salad. The best thing about these potatoes is they are super easy to cook without wasting time peeling and chopping. The skins are also tender and nutritious! Just like my favorite Yokon Gold Potatoes the texture is more waxy with great flavor and hold their shape when cooked. So, here is the way I prepared my potato salad!
Fingerling Potato Salad
- 1 lb 9oz (700g) Fingerling Potatoes
- 2 Tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 4 Tbsp Mayonnaise
- 4 Tbsp natural yogurt
- 1 tsp Dijon mustard
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- 8 Spring Onions (green parts only)
- 3 Tbsp Garden Herbs (Mint, Tarragon, chives or Dill) (chopped)
- Sea salt and freshly ground pepper
- (To Garnish)
- 3 slices bacon (cooked crispy)
- 1 Tbsp fresh herbs (chopped)
How to make it
- Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Add the fingerling potatoes to the pot and once the water has returned to the boil lower the heat and cook the potatoes for 10-12 minutes or until they are tender when pierced with a fork.
- While the potatoes are cooking place the bacon in the oven and bake until crispy.
- Drain the potatoes and toss in Apple Cider Vinegar. Combine the mayonnaise, yogurt, mustard, paprika, salt and freshly ground pepper.
- Gently combine the sauce, herbs and potatoes and transfer to a serving bowl.
- Chop the bacon finely and sprinkle over the potatoes for a garnish.
- Chill in the refrigerator until ready to serve.
Wishing everyone a happy Labor day!
Judith the Irish foodie