This tangy lemon dessert is perfect for holiday entertaining and fantastic paired with ginger snaps or Irish butter shortbread. During my Shamrock and Peach Tours last year I was pleasantly surprised to see ‘the Posset’ making a come back in many of our top Irish Chef’s menus.
…and what is a posset I hear you cry? The Posset goes as far back to medieval times where hot milk was flavored with honey, wine or ale. Today, the Posset has evolved to a dessert classic and is simply delicious with passion fruit and citrus. The lemon is perfect for holiday entertaining and I like to serve them in tiny shot glasses for the perfect small indulgent treat….just perfect!
Here is the recipe and what’s not to like about a recipe with 3 simple ingredients?
- 2 cups heavy cream
- 2 lemons (5 Tbsp plus zest)
- 2/3 cups sugar
- ¼ cup berries (for garnish)
How to make it:
Finely grate the zest of lemons and then juice.
- In a small saucepan heat the cream, sugar and lemon zest to a gentle boil stirring for about 5 minutes until the sugar has dissolved.
- Remove the saucepan from the heat and stir in the lemon juice.
- Allow the posset to cool slightly before pouring in to containers (4 Martini glasses or 8 shot glasses).
- Refrigerate for several hours before serving.
- Before serving garnish with fresh berries.
Merry Christmas and I hope this graces some holiday parties this season!
Joy in the Journey
Judith the Irish foodie