Mint Oreo Chocolate Cheesecake
As we are getting ready for St. Patrick’s Day parties, festivals and parades you may be looking for some festive recipe ideas? Here’s a recipe I adapted for a cooking class that’s really green, really fun, and really yummy! Just in case you haven’t discovered them….But Oreo Cookies now come in mint …. and as far as cookies go… the famous American Oreo is hard to beat? Now, try combining it with a creamy cheesecake and flavored with creme de menthe? What’s not to like? Wishing everyone a wonderful and very green St. Patrick’s Day week as we are on the countdown to Saturday!
Here is the recipe…
(Serves 6 in mason jars)
- (for the base)
- 18 mint Oreo cookies (crushed)
- 2 Tbsp of unsalted butter (melted)
- (for the mousse)
- 1 ½ tsp of gelatin (1 Tbsp of cold water/2 Tbsp of boiling water)
- 1 ½ cups of heavy whipping cream
- 2 (8oz) packets of cream cheese (room temperature)
- 2 Tbsp of crème de Menthe (or 1 tsp of mint extract and a few drops of green food coloring)
- 1 ½ cups of powdered sugar
- (to garnish)
- ½ cup of heavy whipping cream
- 2 Tbsp of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp of vanilla
- Mint leaves
- 2 Oreos (crumbled)
How to make it
- n a food processor roughly chop 12 of the Oreo’s and stir in the melted butter. Divide the crumble between mason jars and press down with the back of a spoon.
- To make the cheesecake mousse beat the cream cheese in an electric mixer until light and fluffy and add 1 ¼ cups of powdered sugar. Add the crème de menthe and beat until it has fully incorporated.
- In a separate bowl whip the cream until stiff peaks appear with the remaining ¼ cup of powdered sugar.
- Mix the gelatin in 1 Tbsp of cold water and let it sit for a few minutes and then stir until it has completely dissolved in 2 Tbsp of boiling water.
- Gradually add the gelatin mixture to the cream cheese mixture, beating until well blended. Fold in the whipped cream and the remaining 6 Oreo cookies (crushed).
- Spoon or pipe the resulting cream on top of the Oreo crumble base and refrigerate until ready to serve.
- Just before serving whip the cream, powdered sugar and vanilla and pipe a swirl on top of the mint mousse. Garnish with the Oreo crumbles and a sprig of fresh mint.
Judie the Irish foodie