The Notorious Irish mixed martial artist, Conor McGregor says “I never lose. Either I win or I learn“. Last night in Vegas, the reigning UFC Lightweight Champion, and former UFC Featherweight champion lost the Ultimate Fighting Championship to Floyd Mayweather – no shame though as Mayweather is the best of the best – and he carried with him the pride of millions of Irish!. His competitor just proved too strong and this was one fight where McGregor had to learn after proving himself fierce, very fierce.
So what does this fighting champ eat to perform and look this good? How about good quality protein? His nutritionist shared that it’s his recommendation to eat lean proteins before a fight instead of carbs. So in honor of team McGregor, we are sharing our Irish Whiskey Barbecue Sauce perfect for brushing on lean proteins after grilling…and before fighting, of course!!!.
Irish whiskey barbecue sauce ingredients:
- 2 Tbsp. butter (or coconut oil)
- ¼ large onion (chopped)
- 2 cloves garlic (crushed)
- 8 fl. oz. (1 cup ) Irish whiskey
- 8 fl. oz. (1 cup) ketchup
- 6 fl. oz. (¾ cup) apple cider vinegar
- 2 fl. oz. (¼ cup) brewed coffee
- 6 Tbsp. cup brown sugar
- 3 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- 1 tsp. kosher salt
- ¼ tsp. freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tsp. cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp. coco powder
- ¾ tsp. cumin
- To make the barbeque sauce, melt the butter in a small saucepan and cook the onion for a few minutes until they are soft but not browned. Add the garlic and cook for 1 minute more. Then combine all the remaining ingredients and simmer gently for 20–25 minutes or until the sauce has been slightly reduced. Cool slightly before processing with an electric blender until smooth.
Judie the Irish foodie