Wondering what to bring to your Burn’s Night celebrations parties? Here’s a simple Scottish recipe that will be the hit of the party! But, what’s the difference anyway between Scotch and American pancakes anyway? – here’s the rub, Scotch Pancakes are like American Pancakes, but, they are much firmer with a thicker constancy and a perfect base for savory or sweet toppings (and in my opinion just a wee bit… nicer). The recipe makes 12 pancakes so you may want to double or event triple it because they are so delicious…
So enjoy your Burn’s night and all things Scottish as we ourselves prepare for a trip to ‘The Highlands’ in a few short weeks, researching our next Scottish adventure with Shamrock and Peach Tours…excited.
Here’s the recipe for Savory Pancakes with Smoked Salmon, Olives and Dill…
(for the pancake)
- 6 oz of self-flour (1 cup)
- 1 tsp of baking powder
- ½ tsp sugar
- Pinch of salt
- 1 egg
- 7 oz of milk
- Butter and a little vegetable oil for frying
- (for the topping)
- Smoked Salmon
- Ground black pepper
- Squeeze of lemon juice
- Creme Fraiche
- Black Olives
- Sprigs of Dill
- Crème Fraiche
How to make it
- Sift the flour with the baking soda, salt and sugar in a bowl and make a well in the center.
- Whisk the eggs and milk together and pour in to the center of the dry ingredients, stirring until combined.
- In a heavy based pan or griddle add a just a little butter and vegetable oil. Using a small ladle drop a small amount on to the hot pan. When one side is golden flip over and cook the other side. Remove and set aside.
- To assemble pile a little smoked salmon on top of each pancake with a squeeze of lemon juice over the salmon and freshly ground black pepper. Top with a little creme fraiche, chopped olives and a sprig of dill.
- Best served right away!
Shamrock and Peach (Judie the Irish Foodie)